About Me

My photo
I am a magazine, public relations, and sociology major at Drake University who is ALWAYS on the go...and I LOVE it!! This blog is a digital record of my evolving writing skills throughout college. To view my dating/relationship blog visit hsmason.wordpress.com.

Sunday, April 25, 2010

What We Can't Have

Why is it that we always want what we can't have? Is that just something women do, or are men the same way? Of course I understand there's a mysterious allure, the thrill of a challenge, and the excitement of wondering what's going to come next. However, there's the flip side as well.
There's the point where you think the "chase" may be just that. A chase, with no finish line in sight. There's the uncertainty, the doubts, the constant state of un-knowing.....although I suppose those three are all the same.
And while we are constantly chasing after what we can't have, we are ignoring all the other cliches we hear almost daily. "There's plenty of fish in the sea." "Where's there's one, there's another." If we simply followed this advice we'd end up with that nice guy that adores us.
While we know all of this to be true, I can't help but realize I don't care. I know what's right for me, but why should I start playing it safe now? I've never been one to follow rules anyway...Reckless? Self-destructive? Probably.
But I'd still like to wait a while before I take my own advice and actually learn from my mistakes. That thought just seems too adult for now.

1 comment:

  1. Always want what we can't have?? Take it from your slighty older, yet wise,sister....this isn't such a bad phase to be in the middle of :) Enjoy it while your young, carefree, and still have the luxuries of going out until 2am in the middle of the week! And well, if this phase doesn't ever seem to pass, then believe me, i know alot of people in the mental health field ;)

    ReplyDelete